Tax Filings for a Typical Canadian Small Business

When starting a business, it can be confusing and a little overwhelming to keep on top of the different types of tax filings that need to be submitted and the timing on each one.  Documents received from the government are not always clear as to what needs to be done, particularly if you are not familiar with what they are asking for.  It can be easy to put them aside to deal with them later, however this will usually result in more letters and if left for long enough, arbitrary assessments and interest and penalties. It is therefore prudent for registered and incorporated businesses to keep on top of their tax filing.
Read More

4 Alternatives for Preparing Your Small Business Payroll

Paying employees (or yourself) requires more than just knowing the amount that you are going to pay.  The Canadian tax authorities requires that employers calculate a variety of taxes on the salaries paid, remit them to the federal and provincial governments and prepare annual reports demonstrating that the calculations are correct and all amounts have been paid.  This can be a lot of work for business owners whose time is more valuably spent generating sales and building their businesses.  Luckily there are many options that help simplify and guide business owners through the process:
Read More

Guidance on Registering for Payroll and Remitting Source Deductions


There comes a time for many small business owners when they decide that they need to hire employees.  This is usually an excellent sign as it means a) the business is growing and b) the small business owner has learned to delegate.  It also means that additional paperwork needs to be filled out and additional taxes need to be paid.  The simplest option when deciding to augment your workforce is to have the new worker invoice the business, based on hours worked or some other formula.  Unfortunately, there are very specific rules as to who qualifies as a self employed contractor.  Essentially, if your worker  is working full time, has little flexibility and you provide the tools, then the tax authorities will classify them as an employee.  In this case, you must take your new worker on as an employee, register for payroll, pay them a salary and submit regular, periodic payroll reports and payments to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).  As usual, if you live in Quebec, you must submit to Revenue Quebec (MRQ) as well.  The registration procedure is discussed below:

Read More