Every small business should consider setting up a facebook business page. Except for your time (which, of course, is an opportunity cost), there are no explicit costs to setting up a page, and the rewards can be significant. Keep in mind that, after you have set up your page and have found 25 people to like it, you are entitled to a "vanity" url (mine is http://www.facebook.com/montrealfinancial) This, in addition to being kind of exciting, is akin to reserving a domain name for your business.
Below are three articles that provide essential guidance and resources to anyone looking to either setup a business page for the first time, or enhance their existing page. It is important to note that a facebook page does require regular updates, and interaction to act as an effective marketing tool.
MySEMexperts examines some compelling reasons businesses need to setup facebook pages including:
- Facebook is here to stay
- More ways of being found by search engines
- Innovative ways to interact with customers
- Creating a community of fans
This fairly comprehensive article from Mashable looks at:
- Guides you through the steps of setting up a page and reminds you that Google looks favourably upon facebook in its search results.
- Gives you examples of available apps and speaks about building custom apps.
- Lets you know ways to promote your page including sending invitations to business contacts, including your facebook page in your email signature and putting a link to it on your website.
- Encourages you to get the most out of your page by encouraging discussion and making it fun.
Speckyboy looks at 40 creative and compelling facebook pages, categorized as follows:
- Calls to action: The landing page encourages the user to like their page
- Incentive: The user must like the page to see content
- Videos: Market research shows that using video can increase conversion rates by up to 80%
- Car Manufacturers: It seems that the automobile industry is quite sophisticated with the use of social media
- Random Pages: Hooters and Heinz are among some random facebook pages that have caught users' imagination.